Thursday, January 23, 2014

Maui: An Invitation to Be Me

Of the many magical take homes from Maui, the one I return to over again is a particular day of snorkeling. Where water meets land, I could see the waves rolling in and out from the perspective of under the water. My senses were totally enlivened by the ocean’s vibrant blue, foamy, white waves, and yellow fish darting in and out of the reef.

Under water acoustics are unrivaled by anything – sand tings as it’s moved by the current, whale song plays in the distance and the sound of snorkel bubbles blurping all around commune in a symphony unlike any other. This, and my body buoyant in the crisp water, all created stark contrasts that popped me out of the hum-drums of daily living and into the wonder of ocean life.


You'd think that all this beauty would be easy but quite honestly, the first few days in Maui were a challenge. The sensations there brought me back to childhood. I grew up on the beach; learned to sail by the time I was 11, water-skied the San Diego Bay in the summers and slept often in a tent, the powerful Pacific Ocean rocking my child body to sleep by night. Our family motto was everything tastes better at the beach and eating Maui’s sweet strawberries and juicy citrus fruit in the sand reminded me of how incredibly true this is for me still. The difficulty was that somewhere along the line after moving to Colorado, I decided I hated the beach lifestyle and Maui required me to get close and personal with my points of view. It invited me to soften, open, and expand. 


Maui asked me to discover a fresh gratitude for the upbringing I had completely subverted. In Maui I started unearthing it. Started acknowledging how lucky I was and how lucky I am.


Back to snorkeling… Underwater, I watched the waves roll in and out of the cove. Everything slowing and softening, I noticed how easy the fish were. They gave way completely to the ocean’s movement. Didn’t struggle against the current, instead seeming to find the play in letting the tide push and pull them around. Taking queues from the fish and feeling encumbered by my fins, I took them off and softened my body, finding movement that I had forgotten existed. I relaxed and found myself gliding with the current, rolling side to side easily and joyfully. I was playful – a kid again. Playful with the help of the fish and the ocean.

And here’s the thing. The ocean showed me that energy is always stirring. It’s pushing and pulling all the time above water too. Today I think I’ll give way to the movement of living and go with the flow. Tuck and dive and roll and play in the joy of pure energy. Use it to propel me forward into the future I’m creating for me and for everyone.


How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment